Monday, March 28, 2005

Roots of "Sin City"

Sin City finally hits theatres this Friday, April 1. It seems like it's been advertised forever.

There's a great article here that examines the crime fiction roots of Sin City, from novels and short stories by Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler from the '30s and '40s that influenced writer/artist/director Frank Miller in his creation. Not only does this article make me want to see the movie, it makes me want to read a lot of these books, many of which I already own, but haven't read yet.

And here is an overview of the Sin City series of graphic novels. I own the first, featuring the character of Marv (played by Mickey Rourke in the movie). It's been awhile since I read it. Time for me to break it out again.

Reviews for the movie are starting to come in from comic sites and the mainstream press. Needless to say, the comic sites are more generous, praising its faithfulness to the graphic novels from which the movie sprang, as opposed to mainstream critics, who find the film maybe just a tad too dark and violent. All praise the cinematic wizardry that Miller and co-director Robert Rodriguez bring to the film.

I know my interest is piqued. Will I see it in the theatre or wait for the DVD? I'll let you know.

No comments: