Sunday, September 07, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Part 2 - TV and Comics)

Continuing my summary of what I was doing all summer when I wasn't blogging...

As for TV, summertime no longer means reruns. While the networks primarily ran game shows and reality shows (so easily skippable), cable as usual offered great options, though I only followed a few. I watched the premiere episodes of Swingtown and the The Middleman, but didn’t feel compelled to stick with them. As for returning shows, the second season of Mad Men has been fantastic so far, and Monk continues to be a fun diversion, though not quite compelling.

The one new show I added was Jurassic Fight Club from the History Channel, an hour-long documentary series that features paleontologists theorizing how different types of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures battled throughout the world, based on bones and other archaeological evidence, The climax of each episode is a 15-minute re-enactment of the battle in glorious CGI, and it’s pretty brutal stuff. The show became a little repetitive though and while I’m still recording it, I’m not quite as fascinated as I once was. The novelty’s worn off a bit.
But now, it’s post-Labor Day and the new TV season is about to begin. First up is the final season of The Shield, which premiered this past week. The network shows are all back thought September and October, and I’ll hopefully write about the new fall season soon enough – including a preview of what is likely (hopefully?) the final season of Smallville.

Comics
I’ve done a pretty good job of not buying new comics for the past several months after the disappointment of Countdown and the new Justice League book, among other things. My plan to wait for trade is mostly in full effect (not helped of course my this new tendency to put almost everything in hardcover first, making that wait even longer – over a year in some cases). But this summer, DC, or more accurately writers Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns sucked me back in with their summer event, Final Crisis and some related spin-offs.

Final Crisis is about "the day evil wins" and involves a new version of Jack Kirby’s New Gods as envisioned by Grant Morrison in his typical off-kilter fashion. The first issue begins with the death of J’onn J’onzz, the Martian Manhunter, and the return of Barry Allen, the Silver Age Flash, who was killed back in 1986 in Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC’s first major summer event. So far, it’s been a little hard to follow but I trust Morrison to pull it of in the end.

A little more straightforward is a pair of spin-offs written by Geoff Johns Rogues' Revenge, about a banded together group of Flash villains and Legion of Three Worlds, which involves a whole bunch of characters, including several continuity challenging versions of the 30th (or 31st) Century’s Legion of Superheroes, as well as Superman and Superboy Prime, one of the villains from 2006’s Infinite Crisis ,who was first introduced around the first aforementioned Crisis, though he was a good guy at the time. The story promises to impact future storylines in books featuring Superman, Flash and Green Lantern, as well as the Legion. With art by the incomparable George Perez (also of the again aforementioned 1986 Crisis), this appears to be just a fun book.

Final Crisis, Rogue’s Revenge and maybe even Legion of Three Worlds (at least one speedster is likely to make a comeback in this story) all provide the prelude to the return of Barry Allen in the Flash: Rebirth, also by Johns, coming later this year. This is another book that I will have a hard time waiting for the collection. Just about everything else coming though, I can wait.

One of these days I may REALLY quit.

We’ll see...

1 comment:

pcaps said...

I've only seen the first epidosde of MM Season 2 so far but if it's half as good as the first season I'll be happy.